Thursday, August 18, 2016

Looking 55 at 49, are you kidding me?

Last Thursday on my way home from work I knew that I was coming down with some upper respiratory infection. My usual remedies for a cold are hot tea with lemon and honey, and a bottle of decongestant nasal spray. Since on any given day you may find only Tylenol Extra and a box of bandages in our medicine drawer, I decided to buy the spray at Shoppers Drug Mart.

There was only one person in front of me at the cash register. The person had several items to scan, but it didn't bother me as I got excited for J. Lo’s pregnancy displayed on the nearby magazine covers. The geriatric cashier scanned my points card, then the spray and told me the total amount to pay. Then she looked at me and asked if I would like to get a senior discount. “It’s Thursday and if you are 55-year-old and older, you may get a 20% discount. Are you 55 and older?” I didn't know if I should be offended by her assumption that I am 55 and older or by looking like a person who would lie about her age and make herself a minimum of 6 years older in order to get the discount of $1.90. “No, I am not.” The cashier facial expression told me that she was not that convinced. I didn't want to punch her in the face, but I remembered a mini face lift that I didn't do for $7,500 in 2015.

Looking 55 is great when you are 60, but not 49.

No comments:

Post a Comment